Drinking wine fends off sore throats and dental plaque study says

By  |  0 Comments

Drinking wine fends off sore throats and dental plaque study says

If you are fond of enjoying a good drop of wine on an evening, enjoying a glass could actually be beneficial to your health. Drinking wine fends off sore throats and dental plaque a study says.

In 1988 a study examined the antibacterial properties of several drinks including carbonated drinks, skim milk, beer, water and wine. Each beverage was infused with infectious bacteria like salmonella, E. Coli and Shigella.

After two days, it was found that the wine had the least amount of live bacteria. Which lead to the conclusion that wine is an effective disinfectant and bacteria can’t survive in it.

A more recent study contradicts the above findings. It has concluded that the acidity and alcohol concentration is actually not what is responsible for killing the bacteria alone. Antibacterial properties are instead thought to be the result of a number of organic compounds which are found in both red and white wines.

A new study conducted by the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry concluded that the organic compounds, lactic, malic, succinic, and tartaric acids, found in wine kill 99.9% of dental bacteria and germs which cause sore throats.

“Exposure to wine had a persistent antibacterial effect,” the authors wrote. A minor distinction, however, is that red wine is better at killing bacteria than white wine, but not by much.

If you feel a sore throat coming pour yourself a nice glass of wine. Moderation is key.

Taylor

[userpro template=postsbyuser user=author postsbyuser_num=4]
shares